Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Shadow of the Wind

I finished a book for my book club last night. It put me in mind of a quote by Orwell: “Any life when viewed from the inside is simply a series of defeats.”

I feel like that sometimes. A friend recently told me that he thinks the thing that binds me to my close friends is that we all over-think. I can see that - especially when I get down on myself I can only see the bad things, the failures, the misfires, the flaws.


Another friend told me that when she got her degree she thought of it like she was wearing a shiny, new tuxedo. She wanted to protect it and not get it dirty by doing things that would tarnish the look of her tuxedo. It made me realize that I've never felt like I've worn a tuxedo. Or if I did, like it was made out of powder-blue polyester. I've never been terribly proud of my accomplishments, instead only seeing how I could have done better. Or worse, that I couldn't have done better but what I did wasn't good enough.

Right now - I think that's a load of hooey. I need to start seeing the successes in my life. 

And looking at these two wiggle worms makes it that much easier.

They are the best, most perfect Things I have ever done.

2 comments:

  1. So many successes! I sympathize with over thinking and dwelling on the negative. Not stuff I'm proud of myself. But I am so proud to know you in so many ways. (And I expect to see a copy of your recent success in the literary world posted here one of these days.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so much like your Dad in over thinking, so you get it genetically. As I tell him, look at your accomplishments - a college degree with 2 majors and an extended minor - all in 4 years!; directing a play that Herman Wells came to; The Steppenwolf internship; The Rep internship; long-lasting TRUE friendships - Khara, Kelli, Tiffany; Nick; your twins. I see a daughter of whom I am most proud, and in awe of your talent and abilities.

    ReplyDelete