Friday, February 1, 2013

Testing Boundaries

My dear little ones,
How you love to test your boundaries. Or maybe it's my boundaries you love to test. Regardless  things have been testy lately. That doesn't mean you aren't sweethearts when you do it, but it doesn't mean you are either ;)

Yesterday, Hero, you were in a delightful mood at dinner (a rare enough occurrence - more than once you have inspired me to think of my mother's mantra while Auntie Lola ate out of the sugar bowl: "at least she's eating"). You would take a bite of your rice and beans and say, "One more bite and I get... caaaaannnddyyyy!" And as you said "candy" you smiled this beautiful smile and shook your head with glee. Then take another bite and say it again.

Tethys, you are generally calm and collected. Sure, you get agitated when we take away your computer games, but you are almost always guidable and sweet. Except recently, to me and me alone. To everyone else you are still a dear, but to me you are a tantrum throwing force of nature. Every interaction is a test of wills. I choose to take this as a gesture of affection.

I love you, girls. Keep testing boundaries. I'll assuage my feelings by knowing that your defiance stems from your growing intelligence. Or, at least I hope so.

xoxo,
Amma Mama

2 comments:

  1. So very true!!! I always assumed that when you or Lola tested me, you were exploring your expanding boundaries and your expanding intelligence. Which are really good things. Just keep thinking that.

    Also now may be the time you and Nick should decide on punishments that go beyond time-outs for those more serious offenses which WILL be coming your way sooner than you want - like tearing up books while giggling. Just a suggestion. :-))))))

    ReplyDelete