So, in as accurate a chronological order as I can recall, in 2013:
- Nick and I kick off date night's again, starting in February with Teatro Zinzanni.
- Easter Egg hunting with Seattle Families of Multiples.
- Lola, Tethys and I traveled to Ohio and Indiana to visit with family where we met my cousin Mitchell's fiance Stephanie and their sweet daughter Mia. We got to visit with my Forcum cousins and their folks which is always like walking into a bear hug - so much love.
- That trip was also the last time I saw my much loved and very much missed Grandma Phyllis.
- The girls and I joined Edie and Calvin for The Adventures of Spot at Seattle Children's Theatre.
- I attended my first writing workshop at Clarion West with John Crowley - thanks to Edie for going with me.
- Hero began suffering from mild encopresis. She is mostly better now and we are grateful for her perseverance.
- Nick, Lola and I went to our first red carpet event at SIFF for Much Ado About Nothing and saw Joss Whedon, Amy Acker and Nathan Fillion in the flesh. Oh la la.
- Our new friend Espen was born.
- Nick turned 36!
- The girls turned 3!! They make the move from toddler to child with tantrums and grace; if those things can happen simultaneously.
- My whole family spent two beautiful weeks in Iowa with Papa, Yia-yia, Pappou, and the Mellas. Eleni and Karina became real friends (as well as cousins) for Tethys and Hero. So many forts made from couch cushions!
- While we were away my parents moved to Mill Creek, WA and become part-time care givers to their grandchildren. (woo-hoo!!)
- My parents bought the Lotis (Nindle-Notis) clan a Toyota Sienna minivan to tool around in.
- Lola, Edie and I started a writer's critique group with new friends Casey and Joanne.
- I participated in the always crazy 14/48 Theatre Festival, Kamikaze style (artists commit to doing an overnight theatre event without knowing what role they will play: actor, writer, designer, director or band!). I drew writer and proceeded to write my first political play about protests in Turkey and then followed that up with my tightest and sweetest 10-minute play yet, a 50's gay love story called, "Cut Your Teeth".
- Nick and I went to see our first live stand up comic, Dylan Moran, with friends Jonah and Brittany.
- Hero and Tethys started preschool and left their nanny behind (although they are having a sleepover with her this weekend - thanks Jessi!).
- We took the girls to their first baseball game - Red Sox v Mariners, just like their Mama.
- I attend the bachelorette party of my theatre bud Erin K and then her wedding to the raucous Jason H. The bachelorette party included 3 firsts for me: a day at the naked lady spa, dinner and wine on Alki beach and wearing a novelty nose and glasses. Yes, the nose was shaped just as you'd think a bachelorette party nose would be shaped. And then Molly Moon's ice cream. Yum.
- Nick and I took the girls to see Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, a Youth Theatre production directed by my long-time director/collaborator Meghan Arnette.
- Edie had a hard summer after volunteering to be laid off from her teaching job. This has meant redefining herself as a mother and a writer and not a teacher. Any redefinition is hard, but one that isn't quite your idea is even harder. She's handled the change with bravery and style and I try not to be too jealous of her being able to write so much.
- I officiated an impromptu beach wedding for my twin's group friends Kristine and Dawn, who shortly thereafter moved away to L.A. :( We miss them and their twins, Zoe and Milo. Milo may have been Tethys's first kiss. I don't know how Calvin let that happen. ;)
- Edie, Lola and I went on a writing retreat to... my parent's house. We called in a Mill Creek vacay.
- Book club started back up again finally after the addition of 2 small babes to our group. The babes aren't so small anymore, neither are our ambitions: We began by reading Edie's first novel, The One The Empress Hunts. It's a classic fantasy story for 5-8th graders. It's beautiful and feminist. I just love it.
- Our friend Bryan Stennes came for a visit and he wasn't barely tormented by the children at all. They even sat down with him to play Transformers. Sweet bonding, really.
- We hosted Hobbit Day this year and, as ever, I invited too many people. I chalk it up to a generous heart rather than a disorganized mind.
- I had my first non-writing business trip to L.A. and got to reconnect with my wonderful old pals Susan and Jeffrey and see their 10 year old son whom I haven't seen since he was 1. What? I also got to reconnect with my actor friend Mike Cotter from Virginia whom I hadn't seen since... 1992! I drove down the PCH in a Prius and felt like I was in Veronica Mars. It was excellent.
- We went to the Washington State Fair and saw our first Rodeo! FUN!
- Edie, Lola and I attended a feminist fantasy writer's convention called Sirens in Southern Washington. It was a transformational experience and I can't wait to go again in 2014.
- Lola and I joined Olympic Athletic Club with Meghan and Edie. Yay us.
- The girls really got Halloween this year and now love to dress up. They have been planning (and changing) their costumes almost every day since then.
- My friend OCD (nickname) had a sweet son named Lucas.
- Meghan Arnette directed a workshop of my play The Seceret and Impossible League of the NooSphere. It was a dream cast and a wonderful experience and it was so very nice to be getting paid to write (thank you 4Culture grant!).
- Edie, Lola, Michael, Tex and I all got dressed up for the 2nd Hobbit movie release. Hilarity and fun.
- The beautiful Talia Rose came into the world - congrats Frank and Michelle.
- Dennis joined us for Christmas and New Year's as he often does and we had a Mill Creek vacation as my parents hosted everyone for the week.
- The girls and I were in a car accident where our new minivan was totaled (weep) but, miraculously, none of us were terribly injured.
- We spent the new year renting a house with our close buds Leigh, Jeremy and Riley. Riley and the girls really hit it off and slept in the same room. They had so much fun playing together. Clinton and Lola spent the night with us as well.






Great way to sum up last year! Keep up the blogging. I live for it. :-)
ReplyDeleteWow. I have been away from the blogosphere too long. What a beautiful recap of a tremendous year. So honored I got to share in so many adventures. Big love always.
ReplyDelete