Monday, June 12, 2017

And now we are seven

It's been a while since my last real post. So much has happened.

  • Birthdays - the girls turned 7 and Nick and I turned 40!
The girls celebrate at Carkeek park with their friend Annie Wilcox
Nick has his birthday in the UK. Mine was celebrated in Ballard with french food, scotch and Wonder Woman. Lots of folks came out but props to Edie, Lola, and Tex for coming to all of it. 
  • We celebrated holidays!

  • Super Lovey got lost!
  • BUT Super Lovey magically returned all-fixed-up from VaVa Land! (with new friend Cookie Lovey!)\
Hero with her best friend, reunited. 
Tethys with her new buddy.
The charming letter from Va-Va Land telling us how LSL was returned. 
Right after the girls found the box with LSL and CL on the porch. Postmarked from Va-Va Land. 

  • We took a 7-person, 3-week road trip through the UK!
At Kew Gardens in a man-made beehive (outside London)

In Bath, after meeting the Pigeon Man.
In Stow-on-the-Wold in a 600 year old inn. 

  • Nick and I tried 39 new coffee roasters for Year 39.
So many good cups of coffee this year. So many.

  • We remodeled our house!
Kitchen with drywall up.

kitchen being dance-christened by T.

the end result

  • REmodel related: Moved into an AirB&B for 3 months and met new friends, Noel and her cats!
The girls really loved the cats. And Noel, who was also our State Rep in the House.
This is them with Kelly the cat on Noel's bed. 

Tethys and Bernie.

  • Lost teeth!
The tooth fairy really outdid herself when these girls lost their first teeth. Glitter! Oragami! Letters!
It is a tough act to follow, methinks.

  • Yoga. 
My home practice became very important this year.
I practice about 6 times a week and I owe it mostly to family support and my YouTube guru: Yoga with Adriene

  • Saw lots of plays!
Too many to name! Here they are getting Aslan's autograph at SCT after the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. 
For Christmas I gifted the whole family with up-close tickets to Luzia, the latest Cirque du Soleil show. 

  • Deepened friendships!
We saw lots more of Pleasant this year - and got to know her parents Norelle and Travis  better, too. 

With Avery at the State Capital. We met up with Noel (her office has a light-up monkey in the window behind them) and talked to lawmakers about the importance of education on MLK Day.
Trip to MOHAI with Avery, too.
Clementine and Pearl spent an 8 hour playdate with us - we got cold at Golden Gardens. 



The girls kept their special relationship with Calvin, too. 

Stopping off at Edie's mom's house in the Colorado red rocks on our way to our 4th Sirens.
Jessi is still a perennial part of our lives. She came over for a sleepover.
The Pony crew cleans up the Simpson-Topping yard during Parker's birthday.
The normal afternoon sight out of our kitchen window: The girls plus Avery and Pleasant in costumes.

And Edie, Lola and I continued to have miscellaneous costumed adventures.
This one was an immersive theatre seance.
Unpictured friends who figured large this year: the Simpson-Toppings (the girls continue to ADORE Riley), Uncle Jae and Uncle Bryan became weekly fixtures in our lives, Uncle Mike came for a couple sleepovers before and after his wedding in Bellingham (the girls' first wedding), the Curly Wolves (Ysa and Tiffany) were spotted several times and I corresponded with them almost daily, the Neels: so many good conversations about art, politics, tv, and kids, and the girls kept in touch with their friend Sadi, too. I'm sure I'm forgetting folks - maybe I'll write them in later!
  • Experienced all of 1st grade! (Yay Ms Neff!)
Grimlock helped Hero learn her sight words. 

Math night!

  • Went on field trips!
To the zoo!
The beach has never been a bigger part of our lives. (Props to Edie)

  • Extracurriculars!
The girls continued gymnastics and added swim and chess.
Tethys was very excited to be paired with Pleasant and win their bughouse tourny!
  • Were deeply saddened by the deaths of personal icons (Prince/ Carrie Fisher) 
What is there to say? Heroes were lost last year. It was a big deal. 

  • Saw Hamilton with Edie in New York!
I will never be able to thank Michael and Edie enough for this experience.
I'm so glad Phoebe came along for the ride. 

  • Voted for a woman for president!
Pantsuit Nation meets up in Gasworks the day of the election. 

  • Became a frequent protester after she didn't win!
Pussy Hats march on Inauguration Day. 

  • My first tattoo! ( couple months after Auntie Lola got her third)
I am kind enough to share this gem of Lola. 

After Uncle Dennis died, I took a lot of solace in Carl Sagan's words: "We are all made of star stuff." This label is meant to remind me of what I am when I'm feeling lost. And there's a Pale Blue Dot at the end to represent our Earth. And, also, because I couldn't help myself, I used Jane Austen's handwriting. 


Life continues to turn and change in ways unexpected, wonderful, and frenetic.

I couldn't be prouder of the people my kids are becoming. They're making me a better friend, mother, artist, and person than I could be without them.


Xoxo

3 comments:

  1. That right there is evidence of a full life well lived. Love to you all. -e

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you put it all in one post, we have very active lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw the title, I suddenly thought there was something you had neglected to tell me. ;)

    ReplyDelete