Thursday, June 14, 2012

A trip to the theatre

For my birthday this year I bought some ridiculously expensive theatre tickets and took off work yesterday afternoon to watch an hour long play. Why do this? Why spend the money and the time when I get comps to most shows that  play in the evening, when I'm already off work? Because I was able to take my daughters to their first theatrical experience. And $140 later, it was worth it!

I was a little nervous about taking them - the suggested age was 2-6 so they are on the young side and frankly, I didn't know if they had the attention span for it. But I needn't have worried. It was amazing to sit with them as they exclaimed over theatre magic.







We went to see The Very Hungry Caterpillar at Seattle Children's Theatre. I've been a long time fan of their work (before we even had kids Nick and I subscribed one year) but I'd never experienced it with a kid, let alone my two. Nanny Jessi went with us and helped corral the girls throughout the performance. There were three acts to the show - following 3 Eric Carle books.






1) Little Cloud:
Favorite moment: Hero seeing Little Cloud left all alone and saying "Sad Cloud. Sad. Come back Clouds!"













2) The Mixed-Up Chameleon
Favorite moment: Tethys and Hero squealing with grossed-out glee when the chameleon ate the first fly. And then again when it ate the second fly.

 
3) The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Favorite moments: When Hero saw the Moon; "Moon, Mama! Moon!" and when she saw the strawberry, "Dappadoo, Mama! Dappadoo!"(translation: "dappadoo" is how the girls pronounce "strawberry".)

The show was about 2 minutes too long for Tethys. Right before the end she reached her hand out to me and said, "Come on, Mama." she grabbed my finger and dragged me into the aisle. We were up at the door when I made her turn around to see what happened at the end of the story....


It was a great day.

2 comments:

  1. Didn't know you did this! How amazing! What a great first theatre experience for T & H. So glad you had such a great time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Glad you all enjoyed it. We loved it too!

    ReplyDelete