Every day has so much significance. One... day... closer!
We are trying to decide where to have the kiddies.
Ugh.
Option 1: My midwife Sally (she's great) can only deliver twins at one hospital, Group Health. Nick and my parents and I took a tour of the place. I really liked it. Their default birth plan is really close to our plan so there would be less hassle and fighting to make the births how we want them. But it is in Capital Hill which is not that convenient and.... they don't take my insurance. Sally does but Group Health doesn't. Twins will cost around $30,000 at Group Health so I need insurance. I've looked into getting Group Health brand insurance (they are a hospital AND an insurance provider). I can sign up during open enrollment in January and be on the plan for 6 months or so for $250 a month. The babies are automatically on this plan for their first 21 days. This would leave about $5000 for us to spend including the deductible.
Option 2: There is a hospital less than a mile from my house that takes my insurance, Northwest Hospital. Like Group Health they also have many good qualities. But Sally can't deliver there. So that means finding a new OB that I like since Sally is the only twin midwife in Seattle. I'm not so hot on OBs in general but I called the hospital and asked the nurses who they would want delivering their twins and a quick tally around the room sent me to Dr. Franklick. Miracle of miracles: Dr. Franklick takes my insurance. I have a meet and greet scheduled with her next Wednesday. If I like her then you'd think this would be a slam dunk for Franklick BUT Northwest Hospital's default birthing plan is very different from the one we want. And I have a feeling I would be fighting tooth and nail to have the birth I want to have there... I can do it, but it's really not the time I'd like to be fighting... Ugh.
I don't know.
All I know is I want socialized health insurance!!!
We are trying to decide where to have the kiddies.
Ugh.
Option 1: My midwife Sally (she's great) can only deliver twins at one hospital, Group Health. Nick and my parents and I took a tour of the place. I really liked it. Their default birth plan is really close to our plan so there would be less hassle and fighting to make the births how we want them. But it is in Capital Hill which is not that convenient and.... they don't take my insurance. Sally does but Group Health doesn't. Twins will cost around $30,000 at Group Health so I need insurance. I've looked into getting Group Health brand insurance (they are a hospital AND an insurance provider). I can sign up during open enrollment in January and be on the plan for 6 months or so for $250 a month. The babies are automatically on this plan for their first 21 days. This would leave about $5000 for us to spend including the deductible.
Option 2: There is a hospital less than a mile from my house that takes my insurance, Northwest Hospital. Like Group Health they also have many good qualities. But Sally can't deliver there. So that means finding a new OB that I like since Sally is the only twin midwife in Seattle. I'm not so hot on OBs in general but I called the hospital and asked the nurses who they would want delivering their twins and a quick tally around the room sent me to Dr. Franklick. Miracle of miracles: Dr. Franklick takes my insurance. I have a meet and greet scheduled with her next Wednesday. If I like her then you'd think this would be a slam dunk for Franklick BUT Northwest Hospital's default birthing plan is very different from the one we want. And I have a feeling I would be fighting tooth and nail to have the birth I want to have there... I can do it, but it's really not the time I'd like to be fighting... Ugh.
I don't know.
All I know is I want socialized health insurance!!!
I think most OBs will listen to your wishes and follow the plan you want, barring any unforseen emergencies. Can you have your midwife there with you as your "fighter?" Or a dula?
ReplyDeleteWhat are the main differences in the birth plans?
I think Christine is right. My guess is most OBs will honor your birth plan as much as possible, especially if they get to know you and know how important it is to you. My doula said something wise to me that I've tried to pass on: "Think of your birth plan as more of a birth wish list. VERY few births that I've heard of go exactly according to plan... even those with midwifes and/or at home." It's great to know what you want, visualize and prepare for it, but it's also great to put together a team that can handle all the unexpected stuff that comes up and that will include you in decision making at the time. =) Hope you like the doc!
ReplyDelete