Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The birth story, part 1

Warning: This post will contain a pretty frank discussion of my surgery and have illustrative pictures. If you're not into the whole bodily function aspect of recovering from a c-section, I suggest you don't click on this post.  I've hidden the gory bits from view unless you open up the post.

On Thursday, May 6 I woke up feeling... different. I really felt like the end of the pregnancy was imminent. My body felt at its limit: there was more cramping in my lower uterus than normal and my contractions were a lot harder and more regular than usual. I could even feel them in back, which I normally could not. So, I just bore with it until my doctor appointment at 11:30AM.

My doc did her normal tests including an ultrasound and then asked me what I was doing at 5 o'clock that day. I told her that I didn't have plans. She said, "How would you like to have these babies today?"

The deal was that I was showing at least one of the signs of pre-eclampsia, and more seemed likely to manifest soon. Pre-eclampsia may progress to eclampsia, characterized by the appearance of seizures. This happens only very rarely with proper treatment. But eclampsia is potentially fatal, and pre-eclampsia is often asymptomatic, so its detection depends on signs or investigations.

Hypertension (High blood pressure)
A rise in the diastolic (lower number) of 15 degrees or more, or a rise in the systolic (upper number) of 30 degrees or more is cause for concern.  

I normally have low blood pressure: 98/68. But that day I was around 135/88.

Swelling or Edema (particularly of the hands or face)
A certain amount of swelling during pregnancy is normal. Edema is the accumulation of excess fluid. It is particularly concerning when it accumulates in the face (eyes) or hands. 

Mine was only in the lower half of my body, but it was pretty extreme. I was having trouble walking because of it.


Proteinuria (Protein in your urine)
Proteinuria is the result of proteins, normally confined to the blood, spilling into your urine because the small blood vessels in the kidneys become damaged.  


This was the biggie for me: Throughout the pregnancy I had been manifesting a 2+ proteinuria. That day I was 4+, a big jump.  


Stomach Pain
This type of stomach pain, called epigastric pain by the medical profession, is usually under the right-side ribs. It can be confused with heartburn, gallbladder problems, flu, indigestion or pain from the baby kicking.

This one was harder to diagnose since I'd been having the right rib/ epigastric pain since the beginning of the 2nd trimester.  It had been attributed to the babies living high up in the uterus and pushing on my rib cage.

Lower Back Pain

Lower back pain is a very common complaint of pregnancy. However, sometimes it may indicate a problem with the liver, especially if it accompanies other symptoms or preeclampsia. 



As I said, I had my first lower back pains that morning.

So, all that led my doc to believe that I was in danger of becoming pre-eclamptic. And as she said, "Today, you're okay and the babies are okay. That might not be true tomorrow so I'd like to reduce the risk to all three of you and have the babies today."

Eep. So, I called Nick and Laura and the doula and went home to pack a birth bag and get as much else ready as I could. Nick got home quickly and was humorously flustered, especially for him. Laura arrived and did a lot of running around to get stuff together last minute.  I didn't stop working until it was time to go since I figured that it wasn't like I was going to cause myself to go into labor sooner at that point.

We got to the hospital a little after 3pm and met doula Emma there.


We met our nurse, a terse, unimaginative, slightly annoying woman who had been working there for 20 years. Despite this experience and expertise she gave me the most ridiculously painful and bloody IV ever. I think she was embarrassed. I hope so because I was spurting blood everywhere and it hurt like a m... thing that hurts a lot.

I give her my birth pan. She glances at it and I ask her if she has any questions about it. She says no. I tell her it's very important to me. I've put a lot of thought into it and even though I'm having a c-section I have certain things I really want to go a certain way.  She still has no questions. Great. she gives me a shave near my pubic region. At least she doesn't cut me.

The anesthesiologist comes in. He tells us that my doula can't come into the room with us. Even through Dr. F said she could. No no, not enough room. Fine, whatever. After a while of monitoring and cleaning up the bloody IV mess we're ready to go. Nick and I walk to the OR. This is not right next door as I had been promised during my tour, but at the other side of the birthing wing. Fine, whatever.

We get to the OR and Nick has to wait outside while they give me the spinal block. I'm annoyed. I'd be a lot more relaxed if I could hold him instead of Ms. Nursing Expertise. It's painful but the worse part was how long they had me hold the position before I was shot with the drugs. 
It's hard to bend over for 5 minutes when your belly is the size of Manitoba.

Finally, they stick me and then I get to lie down. Nick gets to come in. The atmosphere is jovial. I try to make everyone laugh. Dr. F and I get a good back and forth going.  I ask about a mirror, or lowering the screen, so I can see them being born. This was approved in my birth plan.  Nope. They don't do that. There is no mirror. And lowering the screen wouldn't do any good I'm told, my belly is to big to see over. Thanks. They raise the screen and put my arms out to the side like I'm on a cross. At least they don't strap me down. They seat Nick beside me. I tell him to stand up and take pictures. I didn't ask, I could see how the answers to "requests" were going by this point. No one stopped him.

Then, the gory stuff began.

I'll pick up from when the girls are born in the next post.

Click on the "Read more" link below to do just that...


So, here's me prior to surgery, at this point I'm numb below my ribcage.

I had what is called a lower uterine cesarean section. It's the kind of c-section most commonly used today. It involves a transverse (horizontal) cut just above the edge of the bladder and results in less blood loss and is easier to repair that other kinds of c-sections.

Once the anesthesia took effect,  my belly was swabbed with an antiseptic, and the doctor made a small, horizontal incision in the skin above my pubic bone (a "bikini cut").

The doctor cut through the underlying tissue, working her way down to my uterus. When she reached my abdominal muscles, she separated them manually and spread them to expose what's underneath, namely my uterus. Then she made a horizontal cut in the lower section of it. 


This is Tethys being born about 10 minutes later.

Then came Hero, one minute after her sister:

After the surgery I was stitched up, layer by layer. The final layer — the skin — wasn't closed by stitches or staples, Dr F just put the skin close together and taped it closed. This was awesome because when the tape was removed on Saturday, the skin had grown back together on an even seam and I didn't have anything to remove.

More later. I'm tired now. :)

3 comments:

  1. You are such a trooper Darian. I love this story. In all the lead up, I can see the people and imagine precisely how annoyed but excited you were. And then... babies! Arriving in a miraculous and totally amazing way!! For all of the weirdness of medicine, it is pretty amazing what they can do. And even more amazing what the female body can do! ROCK ON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how the body just knows when it's time, huh? I couldn't sleep the night before my water broke. I KNEW we needed names even though we were only at 35 weeks 2 days. Your birth story sounds very similar to mine. They do so many c-sections that they forget that you're trying to have an amazing birth experience. Glad everything is going well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your two beautiful girls Darian! I'm so glad to hear that they are so healthy and home with you! Sorry your birth experience was less than ideal, but I'm also glad they got them out when they did...pre-eclampsia is nothing to mess with.

    We have our babies in our arms too. My water broke at 34w2d (on Mother's day...the stinkers). We had a vaginal birth and they were born on 5/11 at 34w4d. We had 2 boys! Lars Henry and Odin Edward. Lars was 4 lb 15oz and Odin was 5 lb 3 oz. The boys are in the Special Care Nursery because they had typical preemie issues with breathing (all taken care of now) and typical preemie issues with eating (what we are working on now). We don't know when we'll be coming home, but fortunately Group Health allows us to board if they have room, so we've been here from the beginning which allows us to spend all day with the boys.

    We'll have to meet up at one of the SFOM events or something, I can't wait to meet your little ones. Take care Mama! Oh, and thanks for the invite to see your blog. I can totally understand making it private but I'm glad to be able to check in!

    ReplyDelete