Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The birth story, part 2

I really should have done this sooner because this part is a little hazy for me. Perhaps Nick or Laura will be able to fill in the blanks. 

When I last left off Alpha and Beta had both just evicted from my belly. 

There was a big curtain up between my head and everything below. I couldn't see any of the action myself so Nick told me when Alpha was born, although I knew pretty soon afterward because she let out a big stereophonic wail. She came out breech and covered in vernix (this white chalky substance that protects the baby's skin in utero). The doctors cleared out her throat and nose with an aspirator and then brought her around the curtain quickly so I could see her blobbiness before putting her on a cart to check her vitals.  (She wasn't blobby - but my vision was.)

By then Hero was being born. I was concerned about her lungs not being developed because I knew she was smaller so when she too let out a big yell I was so happy that the rest of it almost didn't matter. They aspirated her too and took her over to the table. I think they almost forgot to let me see her until I said "Where is she?" and then a chalky white blob was brought past the screen and then straight back to the tables.

So tiny!!

I told Nick I was okay so he could go to them and talk to them since they would recognize his voice. He did, I believe he said something like, "Hi babies, I'm your Papi." He took lots of pictures.

Then there was a lot of blur for me. I know I wanted desperately to see them more and hold them and was thrilled when the fancy pediatrician told us that they had an APGR score of... 4... 8? I don't recall. Something good - Enough so that they were cleared to hang with us in the recovery room and didn't have to go to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). The babies were ready before I was so Nick went with them. I got stitched up and was ready to be rolled out. I asked for my placentas - I wanted to see them. They showed them to me but wouldn't let me have them though (that fight was just beginning) and then I was rolled down the hall.
It's very strange to be rolled down a hall while lying in bed unable to move your legs. I don't recommend it if you can avoid it but all things considered it wasn't so bad. It did seem REALLY FAR away from my room though.

Meanwhile Nick gets back to the room with the babies and shows them to Laura and they both call the family. The doula tells me he was very excited - going from one baby to the next.
When I get back in the room all I can think of is holding the babies. Stuff was happening. I don't know what. All I wanted was a baby. Both babies. I needed them, that's all I knew. No one was suggesting that I get them. I couldn't stand it. I started to tear up and said "Can I hold my babies now, please". Or something like that - I might not have been polite about it. THEN, suddenly, I had them.

And that was magical.

1 comment:

  1. Goodness. I teared up too. What an ordeal, but what snuggly results! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete