I feel like I was sabotaged at the hospital. I was pressured by the pediatrician and hospital staff to supplement with formula to get their weights up. The girls were losing weight, which is normal after birth, especially when their mother had an IV (I had one). The IV will artificially inflate the babies' birth weights. They said that their weights had to increase or they couldn't come home with me. I recognize that returning to birth weight is important but I believe that my breast milk supply suffered as a result of this advice. Now I'm 3.5 weeks in and I'm only making about 10mL total every 3-4 hours or so... according to the pump anyway. The babies are drinking 3-4oz at every feeding so instead of catching up I'm falling farther behind... It's getting very emotional.
Also, I was told to take fenugreek to improve my milk supply. I have been doing so diligently. Yesterday I did some online research and discovered that fenugreek has side effects. It can give you a rash (hey, perhaps that's why I have a full body rash!) and it can make your babies extrememly gassy (woah, that's why the babies have been crazy fussy and gassy). I've stopped taking it.
I just want to feed my children, darn it!
Post Script... Over the past day and a half it's gotten a bit better. The ladies are having an easier time and my boobs seem to be producing more... we shall see how it goes...
Don't worry lady. It is hard for SO many of us. Your body and your babies will figure it out. But it takes hard work and a ton of patience. Hang in there! (or don't and know you have my support either way!) love!
ReplyDeleteP.s. I know a lady or two who used Mother's Milk Tea to help increase supply. (though I think it does have some fenugreek seed in it) I drank tons of water, ate fatty foods, and pumped in between feedings when I could. Exhausting but it helped.
ReplyDelete