10. My geek/artistic sensibility is an indirect result of these creators: J. R.R. Tolkein, Ellen Raskin, Henrik Ibsen, Madeleine L'engle, Joss Whedon, Gene Roddenberry, Ronald Moore, J.R. Ward, Patricia Briggs, Neil Gaiman, Bill Willingham.
9. Lucas Hackett- I spent 6 years kissing Lucas and reading his comic books, that's got to count for something.
8. Harry Haase - my mother's father was fun, funny and talented. He was constantly singing and dancing. He taught me that people older than me not only had wisdom and ideas to contribute but were fun to be around and could put me at ease. He was someone I admired who made me feel special and important.
7. Kelley Haldeman, Khara Vincent, Tiffany Wallace - my home girls. They remind me who I was, they bless who I've become. Lifelong friends are a gift in themselves and these ladies have taught me so much individually but together, they have made me a good friend.
6. J.K. Rowling, Jane Austen - I reread or rewatch an adaptation of their books multiple times a year. Their sensibilities seep into everything I create.
5. Edith Hope Bishop - my closest friend, my writing companion, my barometer for life and family events. I would not be writing books without her influence. Full stop.
4. Anne Galjour, Jane Jones, Meghan Arnette - My theatre life was influenced profoundly by these three women: I saw Anne's one woman show, Hurricane, at the Berkeley Rep with Dennis in 1995 and it made me picture what living a life in theatre could look like and I got to assist her at the Seattle Rep six years later on her play, Okra; Jane Jones brought me on as her assistant director twice at Book-It Rep. She showed me close up what running a theatre, acting, directing and creating your own style looked like. She was giving of her time and energy and let me see the frustrated, annoying side of things without ever taking it out on me; Meghan Arnette has produced most of my work as a playwright. She is the reason I can call myself a playwright at all, firmly pushing me into it until I realized I loved it. She never gives up on me.
3. Dennis Lindle - my uncle affected my life so profoundly it's hard to know what choices I've made that he hasn't influenced. He taught me to dream big, to be unafraid of new experiences, and to make every day an adventure. He also taught me to appreciate the good things in life: taste the wine, smell everything, feel the difference between the air where you live and the air in Tasmania, find the similarities. Never be content with an uninteresting life.
2. My parents and sister - There's too much to say about them. There is something amazing and magical about unconditional love. I am made stronger by these people. I am free to take risks because I know they will support me.
1. Nick Notis. I am a better artist, a better friend and a better person with him. I know he will always fight with me and never let me grow stale or get too comfortable. He's who I want to spend me life with. Plus, he fathered my children, the whole reason this list exists at all.
Very thought provoking. Some I knew of, others I learned reading this. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteI like this post. It's good to take the time to be grateful for sources of your inspiration! Love you!
ReplyDeleteShucks. Blubber, blubber.
ReplyDelete