Sorry for the dearth of posts this week - it's been a little hectic.
I had this 4 hour glucose test on Monday (no breakfast, doctor's at 8:30 to have a blood draw, chug horrible sugery drink, then have blood drawn every hour for 3 more hours, still no food). It was awful and draining and completely took me out of the rest of the day. I had to call in sick and sleep just so I wouldn't weep the whole day.
On Tuesday I had a full day of meetings at work. At around 10AM I got the call to say:
"Ding-ding-ding! I am the proud winner of gestational diabetes!" What's my prize? I get to take all carbs and sugars out of my diet (good bye fruit) and stick myself with a needle 4-5 times a day! Sweet! Or rather Not sweet, not sweet at all. Sigh. As you can imagine, I wasn't over the moon about this news.
At 2PM I was running a meeting when I began to have contractions. And I kept having them - 6 or 7 during the hour long meeting. So, I decided to end the day early and got in my car to go home. On the way home I just felt... not right. And then I remembered my pre-term labor instructor telling me that one of the key indicators of pre-term labor is feeling like something isn't right. So I called the doctor and they told me to go to the hospital. I picked up Nick and canceled our dinner plans with good friends Meghan and Brian (again). The no-stress test revealed a bunch of contractions but the twins' heartbeats were hard to find (not worrisome because they were moving and kicking like crazy). The doc came in and said I was done with work.
Done. Finished. Finito.
I had an ultrasound where the heartbeats were confirmed and their strange positions were revealed. Beta was curled up into the tightest ball imaginable right under my ribs and Alpha was stretched out like she owned the place. But, despite Beta's fetal position the sex bits were clear for the first time, so now our suspicions have been confirmed - we're having two-of-a-kind.They also checked my cervix which was hanging out around 3cm. Good enough to go home.
So, I've been on modified bed rest since then. I've had another cervix check and it had grown back to 4 cm (great news). And we've started the gestational diabetes routine - we see the dietitian on Monday. And sticking myself isn't so bad...
But good things have happened too! My Mama surprised me with a visit by showing up at the front door on Friday morning! And then she and Laura threw me a wonderful baby shower with friends on Saturday. I continue to be touched and amazed by the generosity of my friends. It's almost too much. I get emotional just thinking about it. A real high point was when I got a gift from my deceased maternal grandparents. I opened it to find clothing that my mother and her twin sister had worn as babies. It was pretty emotional but I was able to keep it in check, at least during the party.
Despite all these setbacks I feel like I've got so much to be thankful for. In fact in some ways I feel like I'm channeling Jane Bennett:"How can I bear so much happiness?"
No apologies necessary. You've been a busy lady. Glad things have calmed down a bit. And those vintage clothes were unbelievable. Absolutely amazing. Rest and relax.
ReplyDeleteSorry I missed the shower. Glad to see you're feeling well enough to work some Austen in the post.
ReplyDelete