Thursday, February 18, 2010

Baby Name Rules

Nick and I are gonna keep the baby names to ourselves until they are born. I've always liked the description in Roots of how Kunta Kinte learned his name... he father took him outside the village and whispered his name to him so that Kunta Kinte was the first person to hear his name spoken aloud. I probably won't take it that far, but it's a nice idea.

We've been thinking and talking about it a lot and we haven't come to much agreement. What we have agreed on are some naming rules:

  1. Must be unusual and striking. I have always loved having an unusual name. Nick loves his name when it's spoken with his last name but as itself he wishes it were more unusual. So, that's rule #1. And by unusual we mean it can't have been in the top 500 names in the last 100 years. 
  2. Anyone with a decent grasp of the English language should be able to look at the name and pronounce it. I'm not a big fan of "alternate spellings".
  3. We are hoping to find names that reflect our heritage. For Nick that means Ancient Greece. For me, Northern Europe/ derivations of family names. 
  4. They have to work together: "Katie" and "Modemba" just won't work.
  5. If it were our name, we would to be proud of it.
So, be forewarned: You may never have heard of the name we choose.  But you can know that we are putting a GREAT DEAL OF THOUGHT into choosing these names. So, if you hate them when you hear them, give it time. They'll grow on you.

That being said - we're taking suggestions. Feel free to comment with them.

3 comments:

  1. I like Minerva. Minnie or Mina for short. And there is just no better namesake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Riya, it means singer. Or Sloane, which is Celtic and means warrior

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, and Rima. Have you read Green Mansions? My dad's favorite. Rima is definitely a name for a girl child of you and Nick. "is pronounced REE-mah. It is of Spanish and Arabic origin, and its meaning is "rhyme, poetry; antelope". Literary: in Hudson's "Green Mansions", Rima was an elusive maiden of the South American rain forest who spoke the language of animals and birds."

    ReplyDelete