I just completed my last 14/48 pre-children this weekend. What a joy!
For those who don't know 14/48 is a theatre festival in Seattle where we produce 14 world premiere plays in 48 hours. It goes a little something like this:
Thursday:
That weekend's artists meet at ACT and complete the following sentence: I want to see seven plays about (blank). A theme is chosen at random and the seven playwrights go home to each write a 10-minute play.
Friday:
- 9:00 a.m.: Plays are drawn at random by the seven directors.
- 10:00 a.m.: Directors draw actors' names at random to "cast" the plays. Rehearsals start throughout the theatre including design meetings, band rehearsals, and a 20-minute tech rehearsal for each play.
- 8:00 p.m.: Each play is performed. At intermission, the audience completes the following sentence: I want to see seven plays about (blank).
- 10:30 p.m.: the shows are performed again for a new audience while the playwrights are home writing 7 new plays for Saturday.
Saturday:
- The process starts all over again with 7 new plays performed at 8:00 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.
I've written the past two festivals but this time I was directing. It was a delight. I'd forgotten how easy it is for me to fall back into directing, just stressless, really.
Here are some preggo pics of me directing from the event taken by the photographer there (Auston James).
![]() |
| Enjoying rehearsal |
![]() |
| With playwright Nick Stokes (not of CSI) |
![]() |
| First night's show theme: into the fire. I inspired a bunch of pregnancies that night! |
![]() |
| Talking with designers |
![]() |
| Tech is going smooth! |






Rad! Congrats!
ReplyDeleteThese are such good director photos! And you+ babies made an amazing directing team. :)
ReplyDelete