Sorry for the long hiatus. Nick and I just returned from a lovely trip to what Nick refers to as "the Old Counrty", a.k.a Des Moines, IA. We spent 9 days with Elaine, Charlie, Christine, Ramon and our niece Eleni.
It was adorable to watch Nick playing with Eleni, asking his mom and sister how to change diapers, and generally trying to understand what it means to raise a child.
The Notii were incredibly generous as always and it was a delight to spend Christmas with them again - at least most of it, the part where we weren't snowed in in Dallas:
We spent quality time with the extended family they have built up in Des Moines: the Avgerinases, the Perkins, the Davises and the Stennes Families. Not to mention going to favorite restaurants like Ted's Coney West and Mr. Fillet where we were also treated like family. I feel like I talked to a hundred Greeks at least when we went to St. Georges for church. My belly was rubbed for luck several times and Alpha and Beta were prognosticated to be BOYS.
One of the special joys of this trip was getting to know Eleni. She turned two during the trip and has laid full claim to the terrible twos. Despite the tantrums (of which there were many) she was able to charm us all. She started to really warm up to us during a trip to the Botanical gardens.
![]() |
| This is Eleni with her Yiayia (and namesake) Elaine. |
![]() |
| Nick, Christine, Eleni and Elaine |
During this trip she let her Uncle Nick hold her for the first time.
She and I really bonded during the New Years Eve Michael Jackson Thriller Dance Party that the Notii threw impromptu in their den. It was awesome and fun and Eleni started to call me "Dee" and asked to be picked up so she could dance with me. Wonderful. And at the end of the night I think I felt the twins move for the first time.
![]() |
| My belly grew substantially over the trip. |
I felt good the whole time and still do. It was a great time, despite the -17 degrees below on our last day.
Thanks so much to the Notis clan for hosting. We loved it.





Glad you are back! =) 2010 is going to ROCK for 2 very exciting reasons. =)
ReplyDelete